Friday 18 March 2011

My Precious Things



With rain drizzling down outside on a miserable grey London day, Im on the couch. Wrapped in my favourite big red blanket, with 2 finished toilet rolls next to me and a bin full of tissues I have been thinking.

With the help of my ever loyal Tori Amos, who is always with me on days like this, as usual Im deep in thought. These thoughts are my own but present in everyones lives and I wanted to share them. Even if one person reads this and gets it, brilliant. If not, *shrugs* C'est la vie.

My life is a big old school rig of a car. Its had a few breakdowns, seen many a passenger; people who've taken it and had some fun cutting burnouts in the back paddock or sneaking to maccas at midnight for a dirty big mac; there have been people who didnt see the beauty in the rid and have discarded it like junk and people who always go for a ride in it but only use it to get from A to B... but there have been those who saw the potential and given it some good old love and care and to them, its turned the old rig into a collectors item. And its not only the drivers.. sometimes the car goes on autopilot and kept putting itself into reverse.

But away from the metaphor, today I have chosen to discard the people and situations in my life that hold me back. A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. A person who sees the beauty in you when noone else does. The kind of friend who understands you and never asks why. A friend to me is someone who never judges, lacks love or is selfish. A friend to me is present. I am present and I will chose to keep the beautiful 1963 EH Holden Wagon in 5th gear... if itll go that fast ;)

As Tori says in the above song..

So I ran faster
But you caught me here
Yes my loyalties turned
Like my ankleIn the seventh grade
Running after Billy
Running after the rain
These precious things
Let them bleed
Let them wash away
These precious things let them break their hold over me

I walk forward with life and after todays grey skies turn to black; I hope that tomorrows are blue and full of sunshine. And as I write this I heard birds chirping, so I look up and a bit of sun shining strongly through the clouds. A good sign? Of course.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment